Subtitle

Abide in Love ~ Abound in Thanksgiving ~ Work in Joy...
Live Fully ~ Suffer Rightly ~ Trust Deeply ~ Bless Truly!

LISTEN & LEARN:

"Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths,
guide me in your truth and teach me,
for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."
~ Psalms 25:4,5

Sub Sub Title

LESSONS FOR A LEARNER

Sunday, June 16, 2019

Roller Coaster Slows

Roller Coasters are notoriously fast, right?

Well, this roller coaster has been going up and down for about 9 months now (an no, I'm not about to have a baby! :))

I'll share more details about the roller coaster in another post, but for now I'll explain that the roller coaster I'm riding is unique in that the train is slowing for about a week, but most likely will pick up speed again with an unknown ending point...

Today is the day my husband presented his official candidacy as Worship Leader at a church different from our "home church."  He will be voted on next Sunday, June 23rd and then LORD-willing the roller coaster train will pick up again pulling a whole lotta change in its wake.

What is particularly surprising about this change is that my husband is a structural engineer by trade and I have been pioneering a women's ministry at our young church for the last three and a half years.  Are you really bringing about these changes, LORD?

And yet, it seems as though the LORD is indeed moving in ways that lead us to believe He is up-heaving my husband's career path and uprooting us from the church home we and our four kids have grown to love over the last five years of living in our city.

When this transition came onto the table 9 months ago, we started walking by faith through the doors the LORD seemed to keep opening.  It was very bittersweet -- sweet to think of the exciting things the LORD had in store for us and yet also spurred bitter sadness at the thought of leaving our beloved church family.

The next nine months proved to be such an emotional roller coaster that my emotions admittedly have become dull (more specifics to come).  Now the sweet isn't as sweet and the bitter isn't as bitter.  I am just taking the next step and trusting in the Spirit for the appropriate emotional response to follow.

While having my time with the LORD this morning (shortly before leaving for the new church where I was to sing praise and worship under my husband's leadership), I was reading in Exodus.  (I am preparing to lead a workshop through Exodus and so I have been seeking to "live in the text.")  I was reading Exodus 20 and the second half of verse 24 struck me, "In every place where I cause my name to be remembered I will come to you and bless you."

Wow, such a good reminder.  Now, the context of this verse is God speaking to the Israelites in the wilderness through Moses and yet, the truth of God's character evident in this verse continues today...God still causes His name to be remembered.  And in fact, the church my husband is candidating at is a Gospel-preaching, Christ-exalting church in which God is surely causing His name and true character to be remembered.  ("In every place"...including the "new church," Jill.)

In this verse God also promises to come.  And He has!  God has come down to us (Ephesians 4:9,10) in order to dwell with us (John 1:14) by means of His Son, Jesus Christ through the power of His Holy Spirit.  The dwelling with His people which He has desired since the Garden of Eden and has been seeking to restore through the Exodus and throughout time has been manifested in Jesus Christ Himself!  God has come to His people as a whole, has come to me personally, and will be with me through this potential job change and the journey of transition to follow.

God also promises to bless.  Echos of Genesis 12:2  (and the 18 other references in Genesis) ring through this promise of God's to bless, found here in Exodus 20:24.

The Israelites followed a blessing kind of God.  Even though their disloyalty lead them to 40 years of wandering in the wilderness (Deut. 1:2,3), God's character of being a God of blessing remained the same. I serve that same blessing kind of God.

I am still sad at the thought of being uprooted from my home church.  And I am still unsure of how the future will unfold and the unknowns of adjusting to new people and a new church and balancing our family with my husband's new role.  BUT GOD.

But God has fulfilled His promise and He has come.
But God dwells with me.
But God is faithful.
But God is trustworthy.
But God is comforting.
But God is sovereign.
But God has a purposeful plan.
But God's name and character is worthy to be remembered.

BUT. GOD. IS. A. BLESSING. KIND. OF. GOD.

Thank you, God, for the reminder this morning, amidst your Law in Exodus 20, that You are a God who causes Your name to be remembered in whatever place we are and You have come and You bless.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful Jill! Thanks for letting us share in this journey w/ you! Exciting to hear how the Lord is moving...& how you are continuall learning to TRUST!
    Praying for your fam right now!!💜

    ReplyDelete