Subtitle

Abide in Love ~ Abound in Thanksgiving ~ Work in Joy...
Live Fully ~ Suffer Rightly ~ Trust Deeply ~ Bless Truly!

LISTEN & LEARN:

"Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths,
guide me in your truth and teach me,
for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."
~ Psalms 25:4,5

Sub Sub Title

LESSONS FOR A LEARNER

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Year of Selah

Two years ago (2010), I sat in North Carolina at the turn of the year and prayed for my two themes of the year: Peace and Joy.

Two year later, the prayer and pursuing of Peace has been answered and that is a state of heart I experience regularly.

2011, "Joy" or rather the desire for, was a theme and it feels like it's still something that eludes me.  In God's faithfulness He has taught me and brought that theme up often in the learning process.  Ann Voskamp's website www.aholyexperience.com and her emphasis on giving thanks in order to live in the presence of joy has been something I've been trying to grow in.  Another author I had read previously in the year also hit on this truth that I have been implementing...I would say it's in the seedling stages.

Upon reading Ann Voskamp's site I have also learned that for the last handful of years, she has named her years.  That's kind of what I have been doing the last two years, but I thought I might formalize this year...The year of ...

The Year of Joy seemed to make sense.  But as I was making the bed, a phrase came to me and it's stuck...

The Year of Selah...

Selah is a Hebrew word, often found in Psalms.  The closest meaning they can ascribe to it is "Pause, Reflect."  I think this correlates well will some of Ann's other premises that have resonated with me; her emphasis on living in the moment, to be "here" in order to live life fully, to not rush through life, but be with the Giver of Life (& Joy).


"For you make him most blessed forever; you make him glad with the joy of your presence.” (Psalms 21:6)

If I begin the practice...to develop the habit...especially in those times where I am frustrated, rushed, impatient, irritable...SelahPause, Reflect - Am I in the presence of The Almighty?  Do I have my mind set on things above, not on earthly things? (Colossians 3:2)  Am I allowing the joy of the LORD to be my strength (Nehemiah 8:10), or I am striving to be self-sufficient?...maybe, just maybe, this pausing and reflecting will keep me from getting distracted from The Giver of Joy for so long...maybe, just maybe experiencing Joy will be a regular habit that overflows from me to share the Gift of Joy with others more freely!

May The Year of Selah bring the Gift of Pause, Reflect, Experiencing Joy!


No comments:

Post a Comment