Subtitle

Abide in Love ~ Abound in Thanksgiving ~ Work in Joy...
Live Fully ~ Suffer Rightly ~ Trust Deeply ~ Bless Truly!

LISTEN & LEARN:

"Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths,
guide me in your truth and teach me,
for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."
~ Psalms 25:4,5

Sub Sub Title

LESSONS FOR A LEARNER

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

40 Days of Surrender - Day 30

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 - Surrender Perfectionism

Amongst the growing List of "Things to Do," I regularly have in the back of my mind "Post a new lesson."  And with that comes the thought that "I'm behind."  I have missed a day here and a couple of days there and so looking back on my 40 days, I will not have a record for each day.

And then the "still, small Voice:" Surrender Perfectionism.

Sigh...

Yes, having something recorded for EVERY day of my Fast would fall under the Idol of Perfectionism.

And thus the lesson the Holy Spirit brought to mind - God's desire for our striving of "Perfect" is in Character and Command - Faithful Obedience to the Commands of God and striving for the Character of Holiness, that we might be Holy as He is Holy (Lev. 11:44, 1 Peter 1:16).

Having a "perfect" record of this Fast is neither an issue of my holiness, nor a command from the LORD.

Hmmm...this is a helpful distinction for me.  When I feel that itching for something to be "perfect," I can ask: Is this an issue of my Character of Holiness, a Command of God, or just a personal preference that I'm turning into a idol of worship (expending more energy and attention to that what God would have of me)?


For a list of all the daily lesson titles in the 40 Days of Surrender in one place, Click Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment