Subtitle

Abide in Love ~ Abound in Thanksgiving ~ Work in Joy...
Live Fully ~ Suffer Rightly ~ Trust Deeply ~ Bless Truly!

LISTEN & LEARN:

"Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths,
guide me in your truth and teach me,
for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."
~ Psalms 25:4,5

Sub Sub Title

LESSONS FOR A LEARNER

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Chart Tool for Child's Whining


Whining is the current "issue" we are dealing with in our almost 4 year old's heart.  I find it tricky to address as it isn't a "defiant sin" with a clear commandment and clear disobedience, but certainly tempts me to sin in my anger (Eph. 4:26) with the annoyance of it!  (Not to mention that it is doing his heart no favors to linger in whining). This chart was inspired from the "Anger Chart"...taking the biblical concept and applying it in a way that trains our children what to put off and put on when faced with temptation (1 Cor. 10:13, Eph. 4:22-24).  The other charts have seemed to be fruitful tools and I pray this one is for our family as well (and maybe yours!)  As I'm even typing this I'm recognizing that the root of whining is often an issue of selfishness and discontentment (not getting "my way" and not thankful for what you do have).  It's always good and helpful to keep the root of sin in the forefront when pruning it.

WHINING

Whining is: Speaking in a tone that is not honoring to God or others.

 “May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be pleasing in your sight,
 O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.”  ~Psalms 19:14

God has given you the ability to speak words so they can be life-giving, beneficial, and persuasive.

We are called to: Do everything without complaining or arguing” ~Philippians 2:14
When you are tempted to whine:
Put off:                                                                                              Put On:
Draining Words                                               Life-giving Words
“The mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life, but the mouth of the wicked conceals violence.” ~Proverbs 10:11
Destructive Words                                         Beneficial Words
“Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.” ~Ephesians 4:29
Deterring Wording                                         Persuading Words
“The wise of heart is called discerning, and sweetness of speech increases persuasiveness.” ~Proverbs 16:21

(c) 2011 LORDLETMELEARN.BLOGSPOT.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment