Subtitle

Abide in Love ~ Abound in Thanksgiving ~ Work in Joy...
Live Fully ~ Suffer Rightly ~ Trust Deeply ~ Bless Truly!

LISTEN & LEARN:

"Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths,
guide me in your truth and teach me,
for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."
~ Psalms 25:4,5

Sub Sub Title

LESSONS FOR A LEARNER

Friday, October 28, 2011

40 Days of Surrender - Day 19

Friday, October 28, 2011 - I should have been armed YESTERDAY!

Yesterday has been the most trying day so far regarding things not going "my way".  From my almost four year old pooping his pants (for I think the second time ever since he was potty trained a year ago) to him scratching his eczema til it bled (both within 15 minutes of us needing to leave the house) to miscommunications, to fighting the temptation to "argue", to having trouble finding a babysitter, to getting a half hour phone call from a distraught new mom as I'm about to go to bed, all the way to leaning over to kiss my son good night as he decides to sit up and bops me in the mouth giving me a fat lip!  That was the straw that broke this camel's back as I was crying from the hurt and crying because I just couldn't handle one more thing not go "right!"

Interestingly enough Tuesday I thought "be prepared for a spiritual attack today, Jill" because Monday night we had had a Teen Mom over for dinner from the ministry we're involved in.  I expected the enemy to not be happy with our sharing Christ's love with her and so I was conscious to think that challenges on Tuesday might be the result of a spiritual attack.  However, I wasn't thinking about that on Thursday as my personal kingdom of toothpicks played dominoes (even though I had watched her son Wednesday morning when she went to court).

And the enemy sure does know how to "get me" -- it's in the "subtle agenda things".

So, this morning during journal processing time, God helped me get "re-armed" through Ephesians 6:10-18:


Belt of Truth --> secured knowing God is in control, desires good and sanctification, Christ is coming to make all things right.

Breastplate of Righteousness --> protected before God in righteousness of Christ -- my weaknesses, failures, and sins in these times are covered.

Shoes -->  I walk in peace because of the gospel in which I believe - though sinful and broken, God's grace reached down and rescued me and continues to deliver me.


Shield of Faith -->  My faith is in what is unseen - the powerful, trustworthy arm of God at work and not shaken by the fiery darts of the evil one


Helmet of Salvation --> Over all is the hope that one days Christ WILL come back and take me into His dwelling place where all things go "right" and as they "should be" all the time for all eternity!  (These are temporary struggles)


Sword of the Spirit -->  Fight back the enemy with God's word...hmmm...wish these had been on the forefront of my mind yesterday:
          I have been created in Christ Jesus to accomplish the good works God prepared in advance for me to do. (Ephesians 2:10) (Satan cannot thwart that.)
          Jesus invites me to come to Him weary and burdened to take his light and easy yoke (Matthew 11:28-10)
          Love is patient... (1 Cor. 13:4)  (I am not justified in getting impatient with my son for not staying in step with "My Agenda" when he hasn't done anything wrong!  So not worth tempting me there, Satan.  Thank you, God, for bringing that to my attention at the time so I wasn't ultimately consumed by "My Agenda" and experienced your grace by ASKING forgiveness of my son.


Pray in the Spirit --> Thank you, LORD, that I was conscious to do this, though maybe not very well.  I haven't thought of "prayer" as one of the specific weapons mentioned in the "Spiritual Armor" list, but rather as a "add on"..."and do this" sort of thing.  But as I read it this morning, it seemed like it could be a "type of sword"?  I wonder if the Greek grammar supports that type of reading?

Keep Alert --> Again, interesting because I would have been alert for this type of attack Tuesday.  And when you are expecting it, you can be better prepared.  So, of course, the Enemy chose the day I wasn't alert and had more of an agenda.


Perseverance -->  Keep enduring on this Fast For Surrender, Jill; even though you've hit a two week slump.  Thank you, LORD, for fanning the flame through Ephesians 6.


For a list of all the daily lesson titles in the 40 Days of Surrender in one place, Click Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment